Thursday, October 01, 2015

Three Universalist proof texts

John 12:32: “And I, when I am lifted upfrom the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
Romans 5:18: “Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.”
Col 1:19-20  “For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.”

4 comments:

Kuudere-Kun said...

I've very much been re thinking universalism. I made a post on it on my SolaScripturaChristianLiberty blog in August if I recall.

B. Prokop said...

I dislike universalism, largely because it seems perilously close to being a mirror image of Calvinistic predestination, only in this case everyone is predestined for salvation. I prefer to regard both Heaven and Hell as genuine possibilities for every individual, as long as we're in this world.

Free Will is one of those theological hills upon which I am prepared to die. (The others being the Trinity, the Incarnation, the Resurrection, and the authority of the Church.)

Jezu ufam tobie!

oozzielionel said...

One of the primary exegetical mistakes is proof texting.

Kuudere-Kun said...

Hell is very real, the debate is merely if it's permanent.

Even if Unviversalism is true, still only those who placed their Faith in Christ have the opportunity to be New Jerusalem.