Monday, November 14, 2005

A note from Mr. Sabatino

JS: First of all - great blog. You seem to be really interactive and up to date
on arguments for the existence of God and I really appreciate your presence
on the web. I have few a questions for you on the Argument from Reason...

Is the following argument by Doug Groothuis a species of the "Argument from
Reason"?:

VR: In a word, yes. I think Doug wrote that one around 1990.

http://ivpress.gospelcom.net/groothuis/doug/archives/000070.php

And isn't Plantinga's Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism also a kind
of Argument from Reason?

VR: It's certainly a version of it, and one that works from the point of view of an externalist epistemology. A few years back I expressed some reservations about its soundness, but I also present a very sketchy version of it as the "Argument from the Reliability of our Rational Faculties" in C. S. Lewis's Dangerous Idea. In fact, I was at Notre Dame when Plantinga was starting to work on it, and I pointed out the connection between his argument in Lewis's. He acknowledged this in the final footnote of Warrant and Proper Function.

Further - don't these all fall under the category of Transcendental
arguments?

VR: See the updated post below that I gave in answer to the same question I got from Canadian philosopher Robert Larmer.

No comments: